Nonprofit Law and Tax-Exempt Organizations
Our lawyers have a strong commitment to providing specialized legal advice and services to nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations. Our vast experience includes providing advice concerning the formation, governance, and operation of nonprofit corporations and other forms of charitable and tax-exempt organizations. We counsel clients about obtaining and maintaining tax-exempt status, private foundation status, unrelated business income, fiduciary duty issues, and a wide variety of federal, state, and local tax compliance matters. We also provide advice concerning charitable giving and fundraising, institutional affiliations, restructurings, reorganizations, and the conduct of day-to-day business activities.
While many of our clients are 501(c)(3) charities and other types of tax-exempt organizations, we also provide services relating to taxable nonprofit organizations, tax-exempt governmental units, and partnerships and joint ventures between and among tax-exempt organizations and private business enterprises.
We have extensive experience in serving the legal needs of private foundations, educational institutions, charities serving youth, and other types of charitable organizations.
Our experience includes providing advice concerning:
- Colleges/Universities and Other Private Educational Institutions
- Private Foundations
- Donor Advised Funds and Sponsoring Organizations
- Supporting Organizations and Complex Charitable Structures
- Non-Charitable Tax-Exempt Organizations
- Unrelated Business Activities
- Charitable Giving/Fundraising
- Joint Ventures and other Affiliations/Relationships
- Fundamental Transactions/Reorganizations/Restructurings
- Fiduciary Obligations
- Organization/Exemption Applications/Compliance/Controversies