Noel is a founding partner of Fleming Petenko Law where he focuses his practice on serving the legal needs of nonprofit organizations primarily in the areas of corporate law and governance, charitable trusts, federal, state and local tax matters, fiduciary duties, charitable fundraising, and related matters.
He regularly acts as outside general counsel to a variety of nonprofit organizations including publicly supported charities, private foundations, mental health organizations, social service providers, museums, educational institutions, and health care facilities. In this capacity, he advises these organizations on all manner of issues affecting their operations including corporate formation and qualification for tax-exempt status, federal tax law compliance, nonprofit mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, corporate governance matters, charitable contribution issues, and unrelated business income tax questions.
Noel is active in the Pennsylvania nonprofit community and is the Chair of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Charitable Organizations Committee. He has been a long-time course planner and presenter for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s Annual Nonprofit Institute and is an adjunct professor at Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law where he teaches the course, Public Charities: Law and Compliance. He writes and speaks frequently on legal matters related to the operation of nonprofit organizations and has been recognized by his peers as a Super Lawyer in the field of nonprofit law. His articles have been published in the Temple Law Review, The Journal of Taxation, The Exempt Organizations Tax Review, and Taxation of Exempts.
When not helping his clients, Noel enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters. He also enjoys practicing martial arts and has a 1st degree black belt (“Shodan”) in judo!
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, LL.M., Taxation
Temple University Fox School of Business and Management, M.B.A.
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Temple University Fox School of Business and Management, B.B.A., summa cum laude
- The Irish American Business Chamber & Network, Member
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association Tax Law Section, Member
- “The PPA and Related Party Transactions Under Section 512(b)(13),” Taxation of Exempts, Jan/Feb. 2008
Co-author, “Does Vision Service Signal Death Knell for 501(c)(4) HMOs?,” The Exempt Organizations Tax Review, Volume 60, Number 3, June 2008
Co-author, “Private Foundation or Public Charity? Type III Supporting Organizations After the PPA,” The Journal of Taxation, Volume 108, Number 6, June 2008
Co-author, “The Impact of the Recent Proposed Regulations on Type III Supporting Organizations,” The Journal of Taxation, Volume 111, Number 6, December 2009
“The Changing Landscape of Charitable Tax Exemption in Pennsylvania,” Schnader Nonprofit Organizations Alert, February 19, 2015
“Effective Corporate Governance in the Nonprofit Sector,” The Legal Intelligencer, March 24, 2015
“Reprieve Granted to Philadelphia Nonprofit Tax-Exempt Property Owners,” Schnader Nonprofit Organizations Alert, March 27, 2015.
- Selected as a Best Law Firm Mentor by the Legal Intelligencer
- Selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list
- Pennsylvania Corporation Bureau Advisory Committee, Member
- Named to the Irish Legal 100
- Irish Small Business 50 Award
- Temple Law Review, Managing Editor
- Temple University Beasley Scholar Recipient, Benjamin Winderman Award for Scholastic Achievement